Friday, August 15, 2014

my mother sent me an acrostic

"Any owner of cats will know of what I speak. Cats come at dawn to sit on your bed. They may not nip your nose or inhale your breath or make a sound. They simply sit there and stare at you until you open one eyelid and spy them there about to drop dead for need of feeding. So it is with ideas. They come silently in the hour of trying to wake up and remember my name. The notions and fancies sit on the edge of my wits, whisper in my ears and then, if I don't rouse, give more than cats give: a good knock in the head, which gets me out and down to my typewriter before the ideas flee or die or both. In any event, I make the ideas come to me. I do not go to them. I provoke their patience by pretending disregard. This infuriates the latent creature until it is almost raving to be born and once born, nourished."  Ray Bradbury

One of my favorite authors, quoted in an acrostic that my mother sent to me in the mail.  Such a lovely thought.  So apropos at this time when I wake early to sit with my tea and my thoughts.  Of course my cats, my dear boys, wind through my legs under the desk their tails twitching, as I brave the task of pen to paper.   

No comments:

Post a Comment